Something drips from overhead air vent in restaurant

I don’t think that I am what you would describe as a germaphobe.

  • When people talk about being scared of various bacteria I usually just laugh and shake my head.

Having obtained a microbiology degree I am not afraid of germs whatsoever. You have no idea what’s in your breathing air or on your body at any time… Let alone worrying about washing your hands 20 times a day. I’m not afraid to eat food that has been sitting out on the counter. I don’t freak out if I get dirt in my mouth. However, there is one area of life that does gross me out quite a bit. Indoor air handling devices are a bacterial respite. Because your indoor air handling device is sucking up and circulating your indoor breathing air it usually accumulates a lot of airborne contaminants. This isn’t exclusively limited to bacteria and germs. There are mold and dander spores floating through your indoor air, happily riding on the waves of your air conditioning system and forced air furnace. If you think it’s gross at your house, consider how nasty HVAC systems are in public places. This is why I got up and left a restaurant the other day after the heating and cooling system effectively contaminated my dinner. I was sitting at the table when I noticed a gentle drip hitting my plate. When I looked up, I saw that the air ductwork overhead was dripping something directly onto our table. Thinking of all of the germs, human dander, and hair that was probably stuck inside of the HVAC system… I promptly abandoned my plate and went home to eat something out of the fridge.
Click to find more information